Our long serving leadership, Hamish Glen and Joanna Reid, will be leaving in 2022, and we are now looking for a CEO to build on their significant achievements.
The CEO will work to secure a sustainable future for The Belgrade as we embark on a post pandemic journey of recovery and regrowth.
The role of CEO is an exciting opportunity for an entrepreneurial and ambitious leader to take on the challenge of leading the Belgrade into its new future. We recognise that it’s a large and complex role, and we will be happy to discuss your development needs and how best to provide a full induction into the role. We can provide mentoring over a period of time to support you as you settle into the role; this might be of particular value if you’re stepping up in terms of scale and/or responsibilities from your current post.
The CEO is a new senior role in the organisation, reporting to the Board. They are the public face of the Theatre, responsible for strategic planning, stakeholder management and advocacy, and with overall responsibility for the finance and operations of the organisation.
The CEO will work in close collaboration with the newly created role of Creative Director. This role will shape the delivery of The Belgrade Theatre’s artistic vision and will be responsible for leading the producing and participatory programmes.
We are committed to cultivating a culture of inclusion, and we welcome applicants that represent the diverse communities we serve.
You will be able to demonstrate this range of skills and experience:
- Commitment to the vision, mission and values of The Belgrade.
- EITHER significant senior management experience in a theatre organisation of a similar scale to The Belgrade
OR: Significant experience of leadership at a senior level in the cultural industries, in an organisation of a similar scale to the Belgrade.
- Considerable experience in financial management of complex, large scale budgets.
- Proven track record in balancing creative risk and ambition with sound financial management.
- Ability to nurture a diverse network of industry contacts nationally and internationally.
- Demonstrable understanding of the UK arts and theatre scene with knowledge of the major social, financial and political issues facing subsidised theatre.
- Track record of negotiating and maintaining effective commercial partnerships for theatre productions.
- Proven success in setting and meeting significant targets in income generation
- Experience of developing and implementing strategic business plans.
- Successful experience of stakeholder management at the highest levels
- Strong leadership skills with the ability to provide clear strategic direction and manage and motivate a large team
- An innovative, entrepreneurial approach, with the ability to recognise and exploit commercial opportunities with energy
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with demonstrable ability to build trust-based relationships with a wide range of people both internally and externally.
- Commitment to learning, engagement, talent development and inclusivity
- Ability to act as spokesperson in a range of settings
- Ability to articulate the role of The Belgrade in ACE’s Let’s Create strategy
- Leadership of the Belgrade Brand Values to be the people who know and care. The Belgrade’s character is AMBITIOUS: we have energy and drive to deliver excellence across all our work; BRAVE: we celebrate and encourage creativity and innovation in everyone; COLLABORATIVE: we work inclusively to achieve our goals.
- Experience of carrying financial responsibility for an organisation of a similar scale
- Detailed knowledge of marketing and audience development.
- Knowledge of the regional theatre context
- Experience of effectively managing a fundraising and individual giving strategy.
- Experience of working with a voluntary Board of Trustees.
- Experience of working collaboratively with an Artistic/Creative Director
- Experience of managing Arts Council England NPO relationship
- Understanding of Theatre Tax Relief
For a full job description and to apply, download the Chief Executive Job Pack and Equal Opportunities form from the bottom of this page.