Our long serving leadership, Hamish Glen and Joanna Reid, will be leaving in 2022, and we are now looking for a new leadership team to build on their significant achievements.
The Creative Director will work in close collaboration with the newly appointed CEO to build a new artistic profile for the organisation. This is an exciting opportunity for a bold and brave theatre maker with a rising reputation to put The Belgrade on the local, regional and national stage.
The Creative Director will provide clear artistic leadership for The Belgrade and have responsibility for the artistic health of the company and for the development and implementation of its programme of activities across all stages and art forms.
The Creative Director will translate the company’s mission statement into an annual creative programme, liaising with the CEO who has responsibility for main house visiting company work.
The Creative Director will work in close collaboration with the CEO on the strategic direction of the company.
You may be new to this role; we will be happy to discuss your development needs and how best to provide a full induction. We can provide mentoring over a period of time to support you as you settle into the role; this might be of particular value if you’re stepping up in terms of scale and/or responsibilities from your current post.
We are committed to cultivating a culture of inclusion, and we welcome applicants that represent the diverse communities we serve.
You will be able to demonstrate this range of skills and experience
- Commitment to the vision, mission and values of The Belgrade.
- Excellent industry reputation as an innovative theatre maker with a proven track record of critically acclaimed professional work.
- Ability to provide clear and dynamic artistic leadership for the next evolution of The Belgrade.
- An inclusive leadership style which also enables timely decision making to meet the operational and financial needs of the building.
- Knowledge of the major social, financial and political issues facing subsidised regional theatres.
- Proven experience in delivering a professional programme of creative risk and ambition within agreed resources.
- Experience of building a diverse network of creative relationships, locally, regionally and nationally.
- Track record in securing co-producing relationships.
- Demonstrable ability to undertake strategic thinking and planning.
- Commitment to principles of equality, diversity, and inclusion.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with demonstrable ability to build trust-based relationships with a wide range of people both internally and externally.
- Evidence of an entrepreneurial approach to audience development.
- Commitment to learning, community engagement and talent development.
- Ability to act as spokesperson in a range of settings. Leadership of the Belgrade Brand Values to be the people who know and care. The Belgrade’s character is AMBITIOUS: we have energy and drive to deliver excellence across all our work; BRAVE: we celebrate and encourage creativity and innovation in everyone; COLLABORATIVE: we work inclusively to achieve our goals.
- Significant leadership or senior management experience in a theatre company.
- Significant experience in creating and delivering an artistic programme/season.
- Significant experience of working in a producing theatre.
- Knowledge of marketing and communications strategic planning.
- Experience of successfully raising funds from trusts, individuals and ACE.
- Proven experience in business planning.
- Knowledge of the West Midlands cultural landscape.
For a full job description and to apply, download the Creative Director Job Pack and Equal Opportunities Form from the bottom of this page.