This event takes place at
Listen to the text on this page read aloud by our Creative Director Corey Campbell via the video link below.
Be part of Coventry Belgrade – a co-created theatre, where diversity powers storytelling.
We are excited to launch the Belgrade Ensemble led by our Creative Director Corey Campbell and Associate Director Jay Zorenti-Nakhid.
The Belgrade Ensemble is a free 8-month training programme for early career performance artists looking to develop their craft alongside our creative leadership team.
This is a training opportunity for local performers interested in expanding their practice. Participants will train together and work on a range of exciting projects with the Belgrade and with other theatres nationally and internationally.
We are looking to work with local artists regionally. The training programme will be free and offer the following development opportunities:
- Technical skill in performance craft (acting and performance)
- Insight into directing, facilitating, and writing.
- Performing on one of our stages
- Training and mentoring from the Creative Director & Associate Director
- Skill-specific masterclasses from a range of practitioners
- Support to see work outside of the region.
Who is this for?
We are looking to work with performers who are:
- Aged between 19 and 30 years old, based in the Midlands.
- Committed to pursuing a career in the arts.
- Looking to develop and deepen their performance craft and interested in exploring other skills including but not exclusive to directing, facilitating, and writing.
The programme will run from January – August 2024 and will involve opportunities to create your own work and work with other companies such as Hackney Empire and For/With/By Festival.
At this stage we envisage sessions will run in 10-week blocks on Thursday evenings at the Belgrade Theatre. Performance and residential opportunities will be in June and August.
What we are looking for
We will base selection on the following criteria:
- Performance ability
- Potential for growth and willingness to invest in yourself.
- Commitment to learning about yourself, a commitment to learning about others, and a commitment to exploring future forms of theatre.
We are particularly interested to hear from you if you have not been able to access formal higher education.
Please complete this online application form (you will be prompted to sign in using a Google account) and submit a self-tape of no more than 1 minute in length. There is a space to upload a file into the form.
Deadline for applications: Tuesday 28th November, 6pm
Applications will be reviewed on Wednesday 29th November.
We will contact everyone with the outcome of your application by Friday, 1st December.
Successful applicants will be invited to an informal workshop audition on Saturday 9th December. This will take place at the Belgrade Theatre in a small group with Creative Director Corey Campbell and Associate Director Jay Zorenti-Nakhid.
Guidance for the self-tape
The material could be anything that suits you or that you find interesting to perform. It could be a play, piece of prose or poetry, or something you’ve written yourself. Don’t worry too much – we’re just looking to see you and your performance ability.
Top tips for making a Self-Tape:
- Use a smartphone, tablet, or video camera for the best quality.
- Choose a plain background.
- Find a quiet room with no distractions or noise.
- Use natural light if possible.
- Make sure you re-watch your self-tape before submitting.
- It doesn’t need to be perfect, there is no such thing as the perfect take.
- Relax and have fun!
If you have any questions about the Belgrade Ensemble, need any help filling out the form, or would like to apply in a different way, please email email@example.com or call 02476 256431.