Gathering is back!
Last year, artists from the West Midlands came together with teams from Birmingham Hippodrome, Talawa and Yard for 3 days of workshops, ideas sharing and connection. February 2024 sees the return of Gathering and the next stage of the journey.
The residency will take place at Birmingham Hippodrome 5 – 7 February 2024, with teams from Belgrade Theatre, Hippodrome and Talawa. We’re excited to welcome artists again for workshops, rehearsed readings, relationship building (and food!). If you’re a theatre creative of African or Caribbean heritage in the West Midlands and would like to join us leave your details here and we’ll be in touch soon with more information.
Gathering Seed Commission
As part of the 2024 residency, Belgrade Theatre, Hippodrome and Talawa are collaborating to offer two seed commissions to artists of African or Caribbean heritage, to support the development of new theatre projects.
What we’re looking for
New ideas or early work in progress ideas that:
- speak to the people of Birmingham, Coventry and the wider West Midlands
- amplify voices of people who are underrepresented in the creative arts
- support you to develop as an artist
What we’re offering
- £2,500 bursary
- Support from Belgrade, Hippodrome and Talawa teams to develop your idea
- R&D rehearsal space
- Opportunities to share works in progress
- A rehearsed reading of your work
What’s the process?
- Submit application by 4 January 2024
- Four people will be shortlisted and invited to workshop their idea with a creative team at the Gathering residency 5 – 7 February 2024
- Two people will receive a seed commission
- Development process, including work in progress sharings – February 2024 – September 2024
- Rehearsed reading in October 2024
If you would like to submit your application via video or audio file, please answer the following questions and remember to include your name and email address.
- Tell us about your idea.
- Tell us a bit about you as an artist.
- How do you think this opportunity will support you?
Please only upload video/audio files answering the questions. We cannot accept files of your work at this time.
Please note both the residency and the seed commission are only open to artists of African or Caribbean heritage in the West Midlands. Defined as people of African, Caribbean, Afro-Latinx and African-American heritage, including people of mixed white and African diaspora heritage who identify as such.
Available for applicants over 18+
- Do I have to have a script or a fully formed idea?
No, feel free to apply with the beginning of an idea, we’re excited to help you shape it.
- Do I have to submit an idea to take part in the residency?
You are very welcome to take part in the residency without applying for the commission.
- I can’t attend the residency, can I still apply for the commission?
We will be inviting four shortlisted applicants to workshop their idea with a creative team at the residency. If attending is an issue, let us know in the application and we will do our best to support you.
- I’m not an artist of African or Caribbean heritage, can I still take part?
We’re excited to be partnering with Talawa, the UK’s outstanding Black British theatre company and as such this opportunity is specifically for artists of African or Caribbean heritage. We’ll be announcing other opportunities, open to all soon.